Let’s consider the classification of printing services by printed materials from the perspective of customers. People print greeting cards and wedding/anniversary invitations. The second is most often. Individuals also order gift calendars (for example, with their photo), diplomas (abstracts, dissertations), photo albums.
The most popular type of printing services for individual entrepreneurs is business cards. In second place are office and souvenir products with branding: calendars, flags, notepads, folders, letterheads, envelopes. This also includes POS materials for the design of retail space: wobblers, dispensers, shelf talkers. For promotions – flyers, leaflets, banners, posters. For marketing – booklets, catalogs, presentation brochures.
Companies order everything the same as individual entrepreneurs. The list can be supplemented with fashion products (for example, corporate publications), large-format printing for interior decoration, billboards.
A separate area is industry-specific printing products. Publishers order editions of books and periodicals, manufacturing enterprises – packaging and labels, catering establishments – menus, exhibition complexes – stickers for stands.
Organizations like the printing services of information materials (posters, banners, leaflets), representative printing (calendars, notebooks), and stationery.
Basic printing services methods
There are many of them, but the most popular are two – offset and digital. Large-circulation printed products for which offset is used occupy 80% of the market. But this is temporary, as digital printing services are developing very quickly. They say that by 2020 its share will be at least 40%. The main obstacle to the full expansion of the market is the high cost of a copy. Although digital equipment manufacturers regularly introduce innovations that increase quality and reduce printing costs.
Other types of printing services:
- Sublimation. Application of inscriptions/drawings on any surface covered with a thin layer of polyester. They print on T-shirts, cups, flags.
- Flexography. Transferring the image using an elastic printing plate. Hike to offset. It is mainly used for making labels and packaging.
- Silk-screen printing. The image is transferred to paper using silk, nylon, metal, or polyester nets. You can print on various objects: ceramics, wood, fabric, polyethylene.
- Embossing. Embossing marks/images on the surface of the carrier: thick paper, leather, leatherette. Pressed on gold or silver foil.
This is the final stage in the production of various types of printing services. There are mandatory processes, for example, creasing, without which a sheet of cardboard will not bend, or folding – the formation of a set for a book or magazine from separate sheets. And there are – services to choose from.
- Lamination. You may not do it, but the laminated diploma will look more presentable, and the coated business card will “live” much longer.
- Congreve. A leather-bound notebook will look elegant when embellished with intricate embossing. You can emboss the company logo, its name, slogan.
- Rounding corners. Right corners of a brochure or catalog break quickly. Rounding will help to avoid this. It is also used for notebooks, pocket calendars.
- Numbering. Already printed labels (packaging) are serialized to protect the product from counterfeiting. Also, numbers are put on self-copying forms.
Whether to order post-printing processing or not is not so much an economic question as a marketing one. It is necessary to compare the costs of post-press services with the expected effect (for example, products with protection against counterfeiting gain a competitive advantage).
Examples of the effectiveness of printing services for business
Here are real cases of the use of three basic types of printing services by companies of different sizes.
Who ordered: a real estate agency.
What he ordered: 200 A5 promotional brochures with full-color digital printing. The price included 16 pages and a cover. Budget – 15 760 dollars
Application: distribution by agents (company employees) to clients while viewing objects and personal meetings.
Effect: A striking brochure held attention through a good design. A successful way of informing clients about the agency’s services was chosen. As a result, clients who did not fit the proposed options did not stop communicating with the agency and did not leave for competitors. This gave time to find other suitable objects.
Tested printed products
Who ordered: an exit beauty salon.
What he ordered: three versions of printed materials (business cards, leaflets, postcards)
Application: promoters put business cards in mailboxes of apartment buildings, leaflets were distributed on the street in crowded places, postcards were distributed in wedding salons by agreement with their employees. The total budget is 32,000 dollars.
Effect: Postcards showed the best results. The reason is working with a “hot” audience (brides are interested in finding a makeup artist) and a well-chosen format (postcards with bright design). During the first month, 6 clients came from the salons. The average bill is 2,500 dollars. As a result, half of the cost of printing products paid off in the first month. During the second and third months, 17 people came from the wedding salons.
One client, but what …
Who ordered: a construction company.
What he ordered: leaflets in A6 format (digital printing) with a list of works and promotional prices. They came up with a promotion, hired promoters. Each – a T-shirt with the company logo (500 dollars/piece). The total budget is 5,900 dollars.
Application: staged a promotion at the entrance to the city’s largest construction supermarket and distributed leaflets to customers who made purchases.
Effect: on the first day of the campaign, a list of contacts was collected from interested potential customers. As a result, an order was received for redecorating a kopeck piece, net income amounted to 39,000 dollars.
Three positive examples are not a guarantee that the money spent on printing will pay off. But the fact that printed matter really helps firms to convey information about themselves to consumers is a fact. You need to constantly test different formats in order to stay on the most profitable ones.
- Printing is the duplication of printed materials.
- The main types of printing: digital and offset, but there are other technologies.
- The specifics of each business determines the type of printed materials to promote their product/service.
- In addition to the mandatory post-printing processing, there are other services to improve the quality of printed materials.
- There are a number of successful business examples of printing services.